Five ways to have fun this weekend.
1. In theaters this weekend is the PG-13 rated “Black Panther” the latest highly-anticipated superhero movie in the Marvel cinematic universe about the titular character returning home as king of Wakanda to find his sovereignty challenged by a long-time adversary in a conflict that has global consequences; if you’re looking for something a bit more on the goofy side of fun, check out “Early Man” a PG-rated British stop-motion animated comedy set at the dawn of time, when prehistoric creatures and woolly mammoths roamed the earth.
2. The annual Great Backyard Bird Count runs from Friday through Monday. People are encouraged to spend 15 minutes watching birds and then report the types and numbers online at gbbc.birdcount.org. This is good opportunity for parents to get their children interested in nature, and parents will enjoy the experience, too. The website above has more information on what to do, and kids’ activities as well.
3. This is also NBA All-Star weekend, with three days of events planned, including the All-Star Celebrity Game on Friday night at 7 ET and the main event on Sunday. Head to the local sports bar or hold a party to celebrate. The 67th NBA All-Star Game, featuring Team LeBron (James) vs. Team Stephen (Curry), is Sunday at 8 p.m. ET on TNT.
4. NASCAR returns this weekend with the season-opening, 60th annual Daytona 500 on Sunday. Peyton Manning will serve as the honorary pace car driver for the race, which starts at 8:00 p.m. EST and can be viewed on FOX Sports 1.
5. Since Valentine’s Day was mid-week, celebrations are likely to spill into the weekend this year, so plan your romantic dinner or movie night now — before it’s too late.