1. There are a lot of places for a "foodie" to enjoy in a place as sweet as the Gingerbread City.
No place, however, may be more of a hot topic than the Rising Sun Hibachi Grill, which opened its second location in January. It's first is based in Midlothian.
AJ Joudeh, the Rising Sun's owner and operator, promised a fast, casual Hibachi grill that stands apart from other area restaurants with its customer service and consistently fresh product, according to a Dec. 28 Daily Light article. Any lover of Japanese cuisine should jump at the opportunity to test the scintillating scents and Far-East sushi stylings of a new and up-and-coming restaurant in Waxahachie.
From Dragon rolls to nigiri, sashimi, soy sauce and wasabi, sushi can be some of the bring some of the most exquisite flavors to the taste buds. As both a foodie and sushi lover, I am raring to spend high dollar on plates upon plates of Joudeh's authentic Japanese cuisine — even if I waited far longer than I should have to try it. — Marcus S. Marion
2. Looking to see some great moments in sports history this weekend? If so, you’re in luck as the Photographs Do Not Bend Gallery in Dallas is featuring a new exhibit, "Sports and Leisure."
According to the gallery’s website, the exhibition will showcase the unforgettable moments in sports, from the Golden Era of motorsports to the iconic portraits of legendary boxer, Muhammad Ali and baseball player Babe Ruth. It will also include the playful, humorous, and candid images of Americans hard at play. Some of the featured artists include John Albok, Jesse Alexander and Al Satterwhite.
The gallery is open Tuesday- Saturday from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. and is located at 154 Glass St. Suite 104 in Dallas. Admission is free. The staff at the gallery can be reached at 214-969-1852. For more information go to www.pdnbgallery.com. — Andrew Branca
3. Fueled with revving excitement that exceeds the speeds of 200 mph, the TOPMA Pro Mod Outlaws racing group will be competing in a six-race series this Saturday, July 8, at 2:00 p.m. Hosted by Texas Motorplex in partnership with O’Reilly Auto Parts, racers will contend in a 1/8-mile drag race that's sure to be an adrenaline-pumping good time for the whole family.
2 p.m.: Gates open
4 p.m.: Time Trials Begin
5 p.m.: Pro Mod Qualifying #1
6 p.m.: Pro Mod Qualifying #2
7:10 p.m.: Pro Mod Round #1
8:15 p.m.: Pro Mod Round #2
9:30 p.m.: Pro Mod Semi Finals
10:45 p.m.: Pro Mod Finals
-Schedule Subject to Change-
The race series will be held at Texas Motorplex, 7500 W. Highway 287, Ennis. For more information visit, texasmotorplex.com or call (972) 878-2641 — Chelsea Groomer
4. In theaters this weekend is “Spider-Man: Homecoming” which takes place several months after the events of “Captain America: Civil War” as Peter Parker, with the help of his mentor Tony Stark, tries to balance his life as an ordinary high school student while fighting crime as his superhero alter ego Spider-Man. Also out is “A Ghost Story” starring Casey Affleck as a recently deceased man who returns as a white-sheeted ghost to his suburban home to try to reconnect with his bereft wife
5. On July 8, 1947, a public information officer at the Roswell Army Air Field in New Mexico issued a press release stating that personnel there had recovered a “flying disc,” which had crashed on a ranch near Roswell, New Mexico. So began one of the world’s most famous — and most debunked — UFO claims. While there’s still no hard evidence of alien life to celebrate, you can still celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Roswell UFO incident: Watch some alien-themed TV shows (such as the recent X-Files reboot) or movies (“Independence Day” or it’s sequel “Independence Day: Resurgence”), or make some alien-themed crafts.