A grass fire Monday afternoon consumed more than 200 hay bales off of Farm-to-Market 875.

Units were dispatched to the call at 3 p.m.

Firefighters fought the fire defensively to keep the fire from spreading. No injuries were reported from firefighters working the fire.

“There was nobody around it to cause the fire.

We are thinking because there were some broken bottles and stuff around there is a possibility of the sun going through a broken bottle and sparking the hay. As hot as and dry as it is, it really does not take anything to set (hay bales) on fire,” Waxahachie Fire Chief David Hudgins said.

Units returned to the station at 4:30 p.m. but due to weather conditions members of the department kept a watch on the property to prevent a flareup from starting another fire.

Contact Andrew at andrew.branca@wninews.com or 469-517-1451.