Waxahachie’s own Vicki Gatling will open for Buddy Mondlock on Saturday, Feb. 26 at In the Music Room, 3103 Sanger Way in Waxahachie.
Gatling is no stranger to area music fans as she regularly plays the area Opry circuit.
She says her business card adds singer/songwriter to her name and that for her music is food for the soul.
“I became interested in music in my early teens, inspired by Elvis to master the guitar, by Patsy Cline to sing my guts out, and by Jim Reeves to do it in as smooth a manner as possible. Since that time, youthful ambition has been tempered with a healthy dose of reality. I’ve honed my style and execution with lots of years of practice and observation of some of the greats of the music world, bowing to the talents of Bonnie Raitt, Shelby Lynne, Wynona Judd, Willie Nelson, Billie Holliday, k.d. lang…and the list goes on,” Gatling said.
“Early on, I conbined my appreciation of poetry and my own attempts at rhyme with a simple tune I’d found rolling around in my head. That’s how I became a songwriter…jotting down myriad ideas, composing “works-in-progress,” and thereby giving myself another reason to sing.
Gatling has been a member of Broadcast Music, Inc. since 1965 with airplay on various radio programs across the U.S. and active on the Texas Opry circuit since 1991.
She lists her biography as:
• Strong country/blues/folk background
• Featured at Dallas Songwriters Association showcase (Poor David’s Pub) 1996
• Co-Producer of Carrollton Country Opry’s songwriters showcase – Somethin’ Original – mid-1995
• Opry Female Vocalist of 2002 and Rhythm Guitar Player 2002 (Coast to Coast Country Music Magazine - Dallas)
• First place winner of statewide songwriter’s contest sponsored by Texas Music Commission and S.M.A.R.T. Productions, September 2001
• Appearances on Good Day Dallas (Fox 4, Television), 1998, performing original song and on Royel Clark’s Songwriters’ Corner (Cable), 1998, performingoriginal gospel songs
• Performed in Branson, Missouri, on the Barbara Fairchild Show, August, 1996
• Joined opening acts for Janie Fricke and Barbara Fairchild in the Dallas area –mid-1990s
• Band member, rhythm guitar and vocals, Seagoville-Balch Springs Opry, 1994 to 2002
• Band member, rhythm guitar and vocals, Corsicana Opry, 2004 & 2005
• Band member, rhythm guitar and vocals, Ellis County Opry, 2006 to present
• One of the founding members and lead vocalists of Southern Rains, a trio vocal group / band specializing in original songs and covers in country, blues, Americana and Southern rock (established March, 2007)
“I am really excited about having Vicki perform Saturday night,” In the Music Room owner Randy Tredway said. “When it comes to singer/songwriters Vicki is the real deal. She is great and so are her songs.”
Gatling expressed her gratitude at having a venue dedicated to giving singer/songwriters a place to perform where the audience is there to hear original work.
“I really appreciate what Randy is doing with In the Music Room. It is special for the singer/songwriter to have this venue. I feel fortunate to be able to sit down with an acoustic instrument and perform my work,” she said.
Gatling will perform original songs from 7:30-8:15 p.m. Mondlock will take the stage from 8:30-10 p.m.
Doors open at 6 p.m. Visiting and food will take place until 7:30. In the Music Room invites everyone to bring a covered dish and something good to eat or drink to share family style.
For more information, call 972-938-9990.