This Weeks Weather Quiz
1. The total rainfall that I recorded the first six months of 2007 was: (a) 19.19 inches (b) 25.25 inches (c) 30.31 inches (d) 36.41 inches
2. The total rainfall that I recorded the last six months of 2007 was: (a) only 12.50 inches (b) 18.17 inches (c) 23.29 inches (d) 29.33 inches
3. The total rainfall for all of 2007 was: (a) 33.69 inches (b) 37.41 inches (c) 48.91 inches (d) 51.53 inches
4. Normally in the month of February, we should have seven days that reach freezing or below. As of Feb. 24, how many have I recorded this February? (a) only 2 days (b) 4 days (c) 6 days (d) 8 days
5. When was the last time the temperature in Ennis was in the single digits? (a) Jan. 11, 2002 (b) Feb. 9, 1999 (c) Feb. 4, 1996 (d) Jan. 2, 1992.
Last Six Months Rainfall Below Normal Temperatures Above Normal.
You probably already know that, but, lets take an even closer look at the last six months or so. First, lets look at the rainfall totals I have recorded for each of the last six months, August through January 2008; August only 0.29 of an inch, September 3.96 inches (the wettest month during this period), October only 0.89 of an inch, November 1.56 inches, December 2.18 inches and January 1.05 inches. Thats a total of only 9.93 inches the last six months, or, an average of only 1.65 inches per month. Normally, through those six months, we should have 19.94 inches.
Spring is just about a month away, but, what if the spring months are also below normal on rainfall. We know what the weather usually is during the summer months, now dont we? Hot and dry.
Another trend we need to watch is that each of the last six months have all been above normal on the average temperature per month. So far this February is following the same pattern. In fact, the first half of this February was 8.9 degrees above normal and the rainfall for the first 24 days of this February is only 1.21 inches. The normal for all of February is 3.44 inches. January through Feb. 24, 2008, I have recorded only 2.26 inches of rain. Normally, January through all of February, we should have 6.57 inches.
So, how do we fix this current problem with our weather? Well, we dont and we cant fix it, thank goodness. We just let Mother Nature take its course; after all, she is in control. She knows what she is doing, or, at least we hope so, even though at times it may not seem like it.
Ennis Temperatures and Rainfall for the week of Feb. 18-24, 2008:
The normal low temperature for this time of year is 40 degrees. The normal high temperature for this time of year is 62 degrees.
Monday, Feb. 18 low temperature 38 degrees; high temperature 59 degrees. Rainfall 0.00 of an inch.
Tuesday, Feb. 19 low temperature 40 degrees; high temperature 66 degrees.
Wednesday, Feb. 20 low temperature 50 degrees; high temperature 70 degrees. Rainfall 0.00 of an inch.
Thursday, Feb. 21 low temperature 39 degrees; high temperature 64 degrees. Rainfall 0.03 of an inch.
Friday, Feb. 22 low temperature 34 degrees; high temperature 52 degrees. Rainfall 0.00 of an inch.
Saturday, Feb. 23 low temperature 30 degrees; high temperature 70 degrees. Rainfall 0.00 of an inch.
Sunday, Feb. 24 low temperature 44 degrees; high temperature 64 degrees. Rainfall 0.00 of an inch.
Temperature Range and Total Rainfall for the Week of Feb. 18-24, 2008:
The coldest temperature 30 degrees on Feb. 23. The warmest temperature 70 degrees on Feb. 20 and 23. Total rainfall Feb. 18-24 0.03 of an inch.
Rainfall for Month and Year:
Rainfall Feb. 1-24 1.21 inches. Normal rainfall for all of February 3.44 inches. Rainfall so far this year, January through Feb. 24 2.26 inches. Normal rainfall for January through all of February 6.57 inches.
Weather Flashbacks for Feb. 18-24:
Feb. 20, 1987 low temperature 36 degrees; high temperature 43 degrees. Cloudy and cold. I recorded 0.80 of an inch of rain during the night and 0.50 of an inch during the day.
Feb. 20, 1996 low temperature 51 degrees; high temperature 89 degrees. Fair and very warm.
Feb. 21, 2003 low temperature 46 degrees; high temperature 51 degrees. Cloudy with 0.25 of an inch of rain recorded during the night and 0.90 of an inch during the day.
Feb. 22, 1996 low temperature 56 degrees; high temperature 95 degrees. Fair and unusually warm for this time of year.
Feb. 23, 1994 low temperature 35 degrees; high temperature 49 degrees. Clearing and cold. I-45 south at the Chambers Creek Bridge was closed due to flood waters.
Feb. 24, 2007 low temperature 50 degrees; high temperature 72 degrees. A dust storm was in progress at 4 p.m. with northwest winds 25 to 45 mph.
This Weeks Small Texas Town Salute:
Gum Springs population 50, located in Cass County in northeast Texas.
Hobbs population 91, located in Fisher County in west central Texas.
Little Hope population 25, located in Wood County in northeast Texas.
Middleton population 26, located in Leon County in east central Texas.
Notla population 20, located in Ochiltree County in the Panhandle.
Pine population 78, located in Camp County in east Texas.
Rock Creek population 38, located in Somervell County in west central Texas.
Answers to this Weeks Weather Quiz:
1. D the total rainfall that I recorded during the first six months of 2007 was 36.41 inches, almost the normal rainfall for an entire year.
2. A the total rainfall for the last six months of 2007 was only 12.50 inches. Quite a difference from the first six months of 2007.
3. C the total rainfall for all of 2007 was 48.91 inches or 8.33 inches above normal.
4. B as of Feb. 24, I have recorded only four days that have reached freezing or below so far this February. Normally we should have seven in February.
5. C The last time I recorded the temperature in Ennis in the single digits was Feb. 4, 1996, when it dropped to nine degrees above zero.