The TV cameras definitely got a show Thursday night, unfortunately most of the show was in the sky.

The rivalry game between the Waxahachie Indians and Corsicana Tigers was called off midway through the second quarter due to rain and lighting.

While Waxahachie was leading 20-15 with 5:59 left in the second quarter when the game was called off, the game won't go down as a win or loss for either team. Basically it was just a scrimmage.

“We're disappointed we didn't get to finish. The kids were playing a good game,” Waxahachie head football coach David Ream said. “It's fun to play in the rain. The kids were all excited about coming out in the second half and getting to play in the rain.”

After it began to rain and a few far away lightning bolts were visible beginning around 7:50 p.m. Thursday, the game was postponed shortly after 8 p.m. The coaches decided that the teams would resume play at 9 p.m., if there were no more lightning strikes. The Waxahachie players came out of the locker room and began to loosen up around 8:50 p.m., but a big bolt of lightning a few minutes after that led to the decision to call the game.

“We wanted to have an eight-minute warm up before we started up again in the second quarter and we were going to have just a 10-minute halftime,” Ream said. “We agreed that if there was another strike we weren't going to wait another 30 minutes. It was a good decision by everybody, but it was just disappointing.”

Waxahachie started the rain-shortened game with the ball and had a really nice opening drive going as Avery Jackson completed a pair of passes to keep the chains moving. But once the Indians got in the red zone, a two-yard run and a pair of incompletions forced a field goal attempt. A bad hold forced the kick to sail wide and the Indians' nine-play, 31-yard drive that took 3:45 off the clock ended with no points.

Corsicana then responded with a great drive of its own. The Tigers ran 13 straight times to run four more minutes off the clock and eventually scored on a four-yard run. Corsicana ran in the two-point conversion as well to make it an 8-0 game.

The Indians responded nicely with a big run of their own by Trevon Smith. His 39-yard carry got Waxahachie to the Corsicana 11-yard line. Then Jackson connected with Braden Henry for an 11-yard touchdown for the first touchdown pass of the season for the Indians. The extra point attempt was blocked so it was an 8-6 game.

The Waxahachie defense played well after the first drive of the game to help the Tribe take momentum back. Greg Anderson laid a big hit on the running back for a four-yard loss then Kenneth Washington broke up a pass on third-down to force a punt.

A nice return gave the Indians the ball at the Corsicana 46-yard line. From there, it took just three plays before Smith sliced through defenders and blockers to score from 13 yards out. Quinn Sargent connected with Byron Agnew for the two-point conversion to make it 14-8 Waxahachie with 10:34 left in the first half.

It didn't take long for the Indians to score again. Corsicana completed its only pass of the game, but the ball was coughed up and recovered by Devin Smith to give the Tribe the ball back. On the very next play, Jackson hit a wide-open Isaiah Parrish in stride on a 44-yard pass to make it 20-8 with 10:21 left in the half.

“Avery threw the ball around a little better and hit a couple big passes,” Ream said. “We had a lot of positives. Trevon Smith had a couple big runs. Kenneth Washington had a big pass break up and almost had a pick six.”

Waxahachie's defense stood tall again on the ensuing drive thanks to another big tackle by Anderson and an even bigger tackle by Randon Haynes forced a punt. The return man ran up to try and field the punt, but it squirted through his arms and the Tigers recovered to take the ball at midfield. After eight more runs, the Tigers scored on a one-yard run on what would turn out to be the game's final play.

“We had a great three-and-out, but we turned the ball over on the muffed punt, so there were a few disappointing things,” Ream said. “But we didn't have the penalties we had last week so maybe we got that solved and the preparation was good.”

The only Indian penalties came on extra point attempts, one on offense and one on defense so that was a drastic improvement on the week before.

Corsicana leading rusher LaMontra Owens had 352 rushing yards last week and he had 75 against the Indians in the quarter and a half. Three of his first four runs went for more than 12 yards, but after that he ran 11 times for just 29 yards.

“As long as we don't give up the big plays, we'll be ok. We're going to bend a little bit,” Ream said. “We got some negative yard plays. They had a guy that had 350 yards last week and we were able to contain him a little bit after that first drive so I was pleased with that.”

Smith continued to shine as he had six carries for 72 yards and a touchdown. Isaiah Parrish showed why he is a big-play threat as he had two catches for 61 yards and the score. Jackson was the only Indian to play quarterback Thursday and completed five of seven passes for 92 yards and two touchdowns.

Waxahachie is going to practice Friday, but got Saturday and Sunday off as Waxahachie (1-1) gets ready to face Mansfield Summit (0-3) to start district play Friday at Mansfield's R.L. Anderson Stadium.

“We told them that this is disappointing because we didn't get to finish it, but the next game is the biggest game of the year,” Ream said. “We've got to win the first district ball game.”