The Waxahachie City Council approved a request Tuesday from the Lions Club for street closures in order to hold its 11th annual Mini Grand Prix race in downtown in downtown Waxahachie on Saturday, Oct. 19.

The funds collected from the race allow the Lions Club to continue its mission of helping others in the community throughout the year. Funds are generated from entry fees from race teams and sponsorships from local businesses.

City Manager Paul Stevens said the race was originally scheduled to take place in April but was postponed. The intersections of Main and Rogers streets, Main and South College Streets and Franklin and Jefferson streets will be closed for the event.

In other action Tuesday, the council heard a presentation of the annual service plan update and the collection of the 2013-2014 annual installment for the Waxahachie Public Improvement District No. 1 from Abdi Yassin. Yassi represents MuniCap Inc., which manages the public improvement district located in the Saddlebrook Estates subdivision. Saddlebrook Estates is located off of U.S. Highway 287.

A public improvement district is a separate tax entity that is established by homeowners in an area to provide for additional amenities. Some of these amenities include pools, fountains and parks. In his presentation Yassin reported the annual budget for the district is $110,980.

The council accepted the report from Yassin.

A public hearing was also held to discuss roadway impact fees. During the public hearing Eddie Haas with Freese and Nichols, which is an engineering and planning consulting firm, presented an update to the council on the city’s land use assumptions plan, capital improvement plan and impact fees.  

Haas looked at growth in the city over the next 10 years and expects the city to grow by 2 percent. The previous growth rate, established in 2007, was 3 percent. Data that was used to come up with this projection was taken from census data, building permit data and the Texas Water Board.

The population is expected to grow from 30,959 in 2013 to 37,710 in 2023. Employment is also expected to increase in the city from 23,473 workers in 2013 rising to 30,694 workers in 2023.

Haas also presented to the council an updated capital improvement plan. This plan will feature 18 new roads projects that have a total cost of $49.8 million. To help pay for future capacity on roadways the city uses impact fees. Impact fees are levied by the city and imposed on developers. The fees help pay for future expansion of infrastructure as capacity increases.

The city is divided into seven roadway service areas. Costs of roadway impact fees varies depending on the type of development and service area it is being constructed in.

 Money from one service area can’t be used to increase capacity on another road in a different service area. State law allows the city to collect roadway impact fees within a geographic area that is no greater than six miles from where the capital improvement is taking place.

Currently the city pays for 75 percent of the future capacity improvement with the developer paying the remaining 25 percent. Discussion at Tuesday meeting centered on whether the roadway impact fee should be a 50/50 split between the developer and the city.

Councilman Mark Singleton expressed his concern that if the city would increase the impact fee it would drive developers to other cities to do business.

The council voted to continue the public hearing — as well as the public hearing for the water and wastewater — to Oct. 21 providing additional time to discuss the matter further in a workshop meeting.

In other business the council approved a inter-local agreement with Ellis County for the maintenance of roads, bridges, waterways and ditches.

A memorandum of understanding with Waxahachie Independent School District was approved for the sale of used police vehicles. A workshop to discuss the city’s budget for the 2013-2014 fiscal year was set for noon, Sept. 9. The council also reserved Sept. 16 as an additional day to discuss the budget if needed.  

Mayor John Wray presented a proclamation naming September as “Blood Cancer Awareness Month” to Penny Jurkash and her parents Tony and Leslie.

Follow Andrew on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AndrewBrancaWDL or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/AndrewBrancaWNI. Contact him at andrew.branca@waxahachietx.com or 469-517-1451.