A blaze took the life of a Red Oak man Monday, Sept. 2.

Emergency crews responded to the residential structure fire in the 100 block of Castleridge Road at 11:30 p.m.

Firefighters arrived to find the structure totally involved with heavy smoke and fire.

“Engine 182 was the first to arrive with a single story residential structure with heavy smoke and heavy fire visible from all sides,” Red Oak Fire Chief Eric Thompson said. “The fire was too advanced to allow firefighters to make an interior attack upon arrival.”

Thompson said the first arriving engine crew attempted to knock the main body of the fire down and initiated a defensive fire attack.  Firefighters were aided by a fire hydrant was located in the front yard.

After knocking down the fire, firefighters immediately began an aggressive interior search for victims. The primary search revealed a victim was located in the rear of the residence.  The victim was unresponsive when search crews made the discovery. 

Precinct 4 Justice of the Peace Steve Egan was called to the scene and pronounced the victim dead. He was the only person at home at the time of the fire.

The Ellis County Fire Marshal’s Office, Ellis County Sheriff’s Office, Red Oak Fire Department, the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives and the State Fire Marshal Canine unit are collaborating to investigate the cause and origin, which has not been determined at this time.

The one story brick residence is considered to be a total loss. Damage and property loss is estimated at $175,000.

Members of the Red Oak, Waxahachie, Lancaster, and Glenn Heights fire departments battled the fire. 

Ovilla Firefighters provided fill in coverage during firefighting operations.   

Oncor Electric responded to assist with securing the power to the home. 

There were no injuries to any of the responding firefighters and no other properties were damaged. 

East Texas EMS provided medical stand by during the incident. 

Approximately 30 firefighters, EMS members, and investigators responded to the location to control the incident.  Crews remained on location until 10 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 3.



Follow Andrew on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AndrewBrancaWDL or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/AndrewBrancaWNI. Contact him at andrew.branca@waxahachietx.com or 469-517-1451.