A woodworking shop sustained heavy damage as a result of a slow moving fire that took place early Sunday morning. Firefighters with Emergency Service District No. 6 responded to the call located in the 2200 block of Patrick Road in Waxahachie at 2 a.m.

Ellis County Fire Marshal Joe Stewart said it appears that the fire inside the woodworking shop, located next to a residence, was burning for several hours before anyone noticed it.

The fire started in the roof structure of the 30-foot by 30-foot metal building. Firefighters were able to get the fire under control within a matter of minutes and were able to keep it contained. Damage to the building and its contents are estimated at a few thousand dollars.

Stewart said as soon as the residents spotted the fire they were able to slow down its progression with a water hose before the fire department arrived on the scene. The cause of the fire appears to be electrical in nature and was ruled as accidental, Stewart said.

Follow Andrew on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AndrewBrancaWDL or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/AndrewBrancaWNI. Contact him at andrew.branca@waxahachietx.com or 469-517-1451.