MIDLOTHIAN – Firefighters were able to contain a fire located inside a garage before it was able to spread to other parts of a residence located in the 200 block of Cimarron Meadows Drive early Friday morning. Crews received the call at 3:10 a.m.

“The residents were awakened by their smoke alarm going off. The homeowner opened the garage door from inside the house and the garage was filled with smoke. So he immediately shut the door and had everyone exited the house and called 9-1-1,” Midlothian Fire Department Fire Marshal Kevin Lucia said. “When the first fire engine got there they found smoke coming out of the garage. They were able to go in and hit it pretty quick.”

The damage was contained to the garage and was mostly from heat and smoke. The fire also damaged one of the residence’s vehicles. No injuries were reported from firefighters working the scene or from the two residents.

Lucia said the homeowner had discarded some trash from fireworks they had shot earlier in the evening and that is apparently what cased the fire.

Units cleared the scene and returned to the station at about 4:20 a.m.

Follow Andrew on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AndrewBrancaWDL or on Twitter at www.twitter.com/AndrewBrancaWNI. Contact him at andrew.branca@waxahachietx.com or 469-517-1451.